Sokolniki Park

Wow, I can't believe that Spring Break was the last time I posted something! We have had so much fun during the year here in Moscow. I have taken lots of pictures and it's about time to get some things on the blog!

So, let me start with today. Today we ventured off the compound to Sokolniki Park. It was so worth the trip!  We carried with us a sled and some ice skates. Everyone had on several layers as it was 26 degrees Fahrenheit when we left the house. (Which was way warmer than it had been!) 

We took our 4 kids on the crazy Moscow metro. Of coarse I had to hold Jacob because he would be trampled in the crowds. We smush our way on to the metro and right away people are insistent that we take a seat. Every time I get on the metro with a my children someone performs some act of kindness! I think with this many children you need it!

We finally arrive to our destination and ....Wow! The walk up to the park was on a little brick street.
Mike and the kids.

We get across the street and find the gates and entrance. Looks they are all decked out for Christmas and New Year's.

In front of Sokolniki Park.
Immediately there was ice on the ground so Jacob got to ride in style. He loved it! The bid kids didn't mind putting there skate bags down behind him either!


We came upon a pavilion where people were dancing to the music being played in the snow. It was a magical moment. 

People I don't know dancing in the snow.

Then we came upon an ice maze. This Southern girl was beyond tickled! I've never seen anything like this in my life!

The kids posing at the maze entrance with a little Russian girl :)

Me and Mike

Just our kids and Mike.
Alexis sitting on an ice bench.

David in the corner.
Finding our way through.
Catch up with us Mom!

Money stuck in the ice.


I know this isn't flattering but I had to post it!

Snow Booger!

All around this park there's ice on the ground. Here's a picture of random Russian people skating.

This ice skating in the park is free. There is a rink some where that has a fee. You could also rent skates here from 100-200 rubles.

Here's a picture of the free slide.

Some where in the Park is the Largest Slide in all of Moscow. That's for another trip as the park is HUGE and that can be a bit expensive for a family of six if you don't get the discounted rate.

The lights sparkle in the snow.


Olivia riding the sled with Jacob. 

What a great big sister!


Warming up by the fire pit.

At this point in the day we were a little cold and hungry so we stopped for a snack by the fire. Also FREE.  I totally thought they were going to charge us to warm up for a bit. A word of advice, if you're not freezing don't stop at the fire pits. You are so much colder when you walk away from them!!

Snow Flakes

                        
           We were so excited with the big and fluffy snow flakes!
 



We wanted to see the ice sculptures because last winter season (this year March) we attempted to go but we  weren't prepared for just how large this park was. Our little ones were freezing and we had to turn back. This trip we were so much more prepared. At this point in the day, I even put in the hand warmers to help everyone's hands stay warm. 

Planet LED


I'm not sure what this says but if you follow this guy it leads you to the ice sculptures
 There's at least two of them pointing the way!



Life can be expensive in Moscow for large families. All over the city there are discount rates for children and for large families. Sometimes we don't get a discounted rate here because of the whole language barrier thing. My kids ride free on the Metro. No one  will stop and tell you this. We've paid for them before! Well, even if they did I wouldn't be able to understand it :) 

We lucked out at the tickets to see the LED ice sculptures! There was a very friendly lady who spoke just enough English. My family of six got tickets for 400 rubles instead of  the 1200 we were expecting!
First time out of the sled in a while.

Ahh it's warm in here.


First time ever in an igloo!










Looks like frozen fruit.











Taking it Easy... Wait.....Who's watching the kids ?

Ice guillotine. 

I'm not sticking my head in there!














Ice  mirror vanity.


Close up  picture of myself in the ice vanity mirror.

At the ice table and chairs.


Ice  Slide





This year the ice sculptures had LED light behind them. It was cool during this dark snowy day.  Probably even cooler during the evening!

Posing at the exit.
Believe it or not there are a ton of rides for the kids to ride here. You have to pay for each ride. At the entrance to one of the ride sections there was a snowman that Alexis loved!
Snowman!

 I told Lexi to pose with her snowman.

On our way out the girls say hi to the ponies.


There  is so much to do at this park. We only lasted 3 hours and didn't see half of it.
 It's huge so be prepared! If you can skate wear ice skates. I can't so I wore some studded shoe covers. I didn't fall once! Wish I could wear those things all over town.(Might look a bit silly)

 




Bye Bye park....Until we meet again!


Comments

Diana said…
LOVE these photos! So glad you were able to experience some of the fun things Moscow has to offer. What a great experience and photos to go with it!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the sun?

Family Work

It Takes a Village