Dearest Dad

Father Knows Best

 

What I know about fatherhood I’ve learned from the many Godly men that have influenced my life.

My own biological father was not in my life as a child. I had many “stand in Dads”.

Men that loved me and provided for me. The best example of fatherhood that I have seen

is that of my own husband with my children. He also didn’t have his biological father present I

n his life. You could never tell though. He is loving, patient, playful, nurturing, and when appropriate firm.

 

The Family: A Proclamation to the World  teaches us that “by divine design, fathers are to preside

over their families in love and righteousness.”

 

 Let’s break that down.

 Fatherhood = Preside

 1.     Spiritual leader

2.     Provide the necessities of life

3.     Spiritually guide in love and righteousness


Preside does not mean

 1.     All-knowing

2.     Fear inducing

3.     Controlling

 

“President Ezra Taft Benson reinforced this key principle of fathering in a conference address:

“God established that fathers are to preside in the home. Fathers are to provide love, teach,

and direct”.”

 

OK by now you know that my title is in jest. Fathers do have the responsibility to preside for their

families. This doesn’t mean that they always know best. But sometimes they just might.


The quoted selection and themes are from my textbook; Marriages and Families Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives

Edited by Alan J. Hawkins David C. Dollahite Thomas W. Draper


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the sun?

Family Work

It Takes a Village