Family Work

Let’s get this party started

Are you picturing your last late-night party that you danced the night away?

I’m not talking about that kind of party. I’m talking about a family work party.

Yes raising a family is hard work. But that’s not what I’m talking about either.

In our house, Saturday mornings are typically spent cleaning together and listening to

the parents' music of choice. Everyone is cleaning. You could call it mandatory family fun.

I say this in jest. Cleaning isn’t my favorite thing to do. In all honesty, when I can afford it

I pay someone to help me clean the house. So what’s the point? What are we doing?

Do I just want to make my children miserable?


No. I know the value of family work. I know that it strengthens my family.

The Family: A Proclamation to the World teaches us, “Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of. . . work.”

“The reason family-centered work brings blessings and salvation is so obvious in common experience that it has become obscure: Family work provides endless opportunities to recognize and fill others’ needs. It thus teaches us to love and serve one another, inviting us to be like Jesus Christ. Elder Neal A. Maxwell observed, “The divine attributes of love, mercy, patience, submis-siveness, meekness, purity . . . cannot be developed in the abstract. These require the clinical experiences. . . . Nor can these attributes be developed in a hurry””

The quoted selection and themes are from my textbook;

Marriages and Families Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives

Edited by Alan J. Hawkins David C. Dollahite Thomas W. Draper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun in the sun?

It Takes a Village